Friday, March 13, 2015

Garfi and HAL 9000


The Malevolent Gaze:
Cats & Robots #9
You're really in trouble now, Dave.

Yes, I realize calling HAL a robot is a bit of a stretch.  And while I did inflict some of "2001" on the kids a couple of years ago, I am not sure that Ansel remembers much of it.  This is not going to be one of the more popular napkins at the second grade lunch table.  I needed to draw napkkns for both kids last night, and after some internet issues, I got an unusually late start. When I started thinking about threatening robots with a baleful look to pair with Garfi, HAL seemed like the easy-to-draw solution.

Garfi, "The Angriest Cat on the Internet," hails from Turkey. He is a relative newcomer to the online world of merchandisable cats. His name and look evoke the cartoon Garfield, of course, one of my kids' favorite feline personalities.

Working on the Grumpy Cat model, Garfi  is "Angry Cat," photographed with taglines like, "LOOKS DO KILL" and "YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DIE."

As far as I know, he has not said, "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that." 
Maybe he hasn't had the chance yet.

1 comment: